Canyon Lister school has an Aboriginal Education Support program that provides both academic assistance and cultural awareness to all our aboriginal students. If you wish to know more about this program, contact our Aboriginal Support worker Mrs. Laurel Ewashen.
Across the District our guiding principles are to offer programs that:
- Provide opportunities for Aboriginal learners to improve their educational performance and success
- Celebrate the accomplishments of the Aboriginal learners
- Provide opportunities for Aboriginal students to explore and learn about their heritage and the cultures of the Aboriginal groups.
- Celebrate and acknowledge Aboriginal culture as an integral part of our schools
- Employ culturally aware and sensitive staff so that students and parents of Aboriginal ancestry feel welcomed, honoured and respected
- Encourage ongoing consultation and shared goal setting with the Aboriginal community through the Aboriginal Education Enhancement Council
Enhancement Agreement Goals
- Enhance the Aboriginal learner’s sense of belonging and improve self-esteem
- Improve the academic success of all Aboriginal learners
- Increase the number of Aboriginal students who are making positive life choices
“Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you; they are
unique manifestations of the Human Spirit,” Wade Davis