The Canyon Lister Elementary School has an Aboriginal Education Support program that provides both cultural awareness and academic assistance to all of our Aboriginal students. If you wish to know more about this program, please feel free to contact our Aboriginal Education Family and Youth Worker, Mrs. Laurel Ewashen. Across the School District our guiding principles are to offer programs that:
- Provide opportunities for Aboriginal learners to improve their educational performance and success.
- Celebrate the accomplishments of Aboriginal learners.
- Provide opportunities for Aboriginal students to explore and learn about their heritage and the cultures of Aboriginal groups.
- Celebrate and acknowledge Aboriginal culture as an integral part of our schools.
- Employ culturally aware and sensitive staff so that students and parents of Aboriginal ancestry feel welcomed, honoured and respected.
- Encourage ongoing consultation and shared goal setting with the Aboriginal community through the Aboriginal Education Enhancement Council.
The support provided to students is offered in accordance to the Aboriginal Enhancement Agreement:
Goal #1: To enhance the Aboriginal student’s sense of belonging, pride and identity.
Goal #2: To improve the success of all Aboriginal students.
Goal #3: To improve connections between Aboriginal students, families, communities and schools.
Goal #4: To improve awareness of the history, culture, diversity and issues related to Aboriginal students.